Let’s begin with understanding, what do we mean by a “zero waste lifestyle”. It is a process by which one reduces the amount he/she consumes throughout their life.
This is the most feasible and sustainable way of living. It would also mean that we save resources for our future consumption. We get more aware of our surroundings and environment.
The choices we make under the zero waste lifestyle will in a lot of ways influence our environment, our biodiversity, our resources. Needless to say that this in the long run will reduce pollution, will save our natural resources, and decrease the disposing of materials.
The entire concept of the zero waste lifestyle might seem difficult to achieve when you think about it but in reality, it’s very simple to take small steps towards it.
Now let’s come to ways through which we can achieve this zero waste lifestyle, some might seem easier than the other, but in reality, these small steps will make a huge difference in the long run.
Some of these are,
- Reusing certain things until it no longer works. It is always alright to replace or get new things for our day to day activities but if in any way you can reuse the already existing things, please do that!
- Avoid plastic packaging.
When we get over plastic packaging and switch to stainless steel, we can easily clean and use it over and over again. It’s hassle-free!
- Minimize food waste.
This is a very useful way of living a zero-waste lifestyle. There are a few through which this can be achieved. For example, plan. Revive the leftover food to not waste it, so on and so forth
- Build your personalized zero-waste kit. Firstly, it’s easier to carry. Secondly, it will have all the things which you’ve personally chosen for yourself so it won’t be a problem.
- Collect or store items that serve multiple purposes. Multipurpose tools will occupy less space and also cost less in the long run.
- Switch to cloth pads or menstrual cups. This change might be very difficult at first but in the long run, it will help protect the environment, save money. Ditch tampons and disposable pads. This is the need of the hour. A lot of small start-ups and businesses are focusing on this. When you buy cloth pads you will also be encouraging startups.
WHAT IS FAST FASHION AND IT’S IMPACT
Fast fashion is a term used to describe the quick switch of designs and clothes from catwalks to retail shops. This is done to keep up with ongoing trends and fashion.
Now, this has a lot of impact on us and the environment.
- Do we ever take a second to realize that what is the amount of toxins these colorful fabrics give out? This is the second largest reason for water pollution
- Polyester is the most common and most harmful fabric in the fashion industry. These clothes made of polyester give out microfiber which boosts up the amount of plastic in the ocean.
- In cases like these, it gets very important to recognize and support fabrics like hemp. It is extremely friendly and will not make the situation worse.
- It leads to a water crisis. The fashion industry takes up a lot of water for producing its clothes. Factories use up a lot of water for their manufacturing phase. These are mostly done in small underdeveloped countries where environmental laws are not given much importance.
In the end, it’s only up to us to make the right choices and decisions which will help protect the environment we are living in and keep it safe and healthy for our future generations. Small steps in the right direction are the key.
At Mitti Ke Rang, we started with a COVID-19 community support fundraising, as an emergency response to provide a safety net to families. This will help them survive in the lockdown period. We aim to directly support these families by providing a minimum wage, through transferring the same into their accounts or partner with local NGO, Organisation, Fellow, or a Volunteer, and support them with groceries.
You can donate at:
Our Social Media: