To be very simple & precise vegans are those people who follow a vegan diet plan in their lifestyle.
Now, what’s a vegan diet then?
A vegan diet includes completely plant-based food. Any food from animal source is avoided including meat, seafood, dairy and its products, eggs and sometimes honey too.
The rise of veganism is probably due to the reports that have come into the torture of animals and adulteration of milk.
Veganism is gaining popularity among people to practice non-dairy vegetarianism. Many people are turning into vegans could be noticed.
If we look at famous personalities then — from Beyonce and Miley Cirus to Ariana Grande, they have their own story to turn completely into vegans. These are only a few to name but there are more celebs too who follow a vegan diet plan.
Now, this article mainly covers the 3 broad perspectives on veganism.
- What vegans eat?
- Why people choose veganism & its health benefits.
- Mindset before starting veganism journey.
What vegan eating pattern is?
A vegan diet includes all grains, beans, legumes, vegetables, fruits, and the nearly infinite number of foods made by combining them.
- Fruits and veggies –they are probably the most common and frequent food category that vegan eats. As they offer many different choices to try beside their high vitamin content.
- Beans and legumes — since the vegan diet completely lacks any kind of animal protein, therefore, beans and legumes function as good protein replacements. White beans, kidney beans, peas, chickpeas, lentils, broad beans can be part of daily intake.
- Soy products — soy is very popular in vegan diets because of its high proteins and very versatile food that is used to make soymilk, tofu, yoghurts, cheese and other soy products.
- Whole wheat grains, oats, millets, bread, rice or brown rice, tortillas and pasta — are a great source of carbs and fibres
- Dairy alternatives such as soymilk, coconut milk and almond milk.
- Other foods to increase energy and nutrient intake are nuts, seeds, spreads, popcorns, sprouts and so on
- Regarding oils — vegetable oils and spreads that are minimally processed can be consumed by limiting the intake.
Why go vegan and its health benefit.
People may choose to go vegan primarily because of ethical, health and environmental concern perspective.
It has many health benefits, some of them include:
- It is richer in certain nutrients which include magnesium, potassium, vitamins A, C and E. Vegan diet is also rich in fibres and antioxidants.
- Following a vegan diet can help to lose excess weight and it’s proven to lower body mass index(BMI)
- It lowers body sugar levels and maintains proper kidney functionality.
- It lowers the risk of heart linked diseases.
- Vegans have a lower risk of certain cancers according to observations made through various studies.
Things to keep in mind before beginning the vegan diet plan journey.
It’s dependent on the mindset of a person to choose a vegan diet lifestyle or not. Certainly, veganism is beneficial for human, animals and as well as for the environment.
But a vegan diet lacks some of the essential nutrients that include –
- Vitamin B12 — it can be achieved by taking vitamin B12 supplements.
- Vitamin D — it can be attained through sun exposure and having supplements.
- Omega-3 fatty acids — its deficiency can be fulfilled by supplementing with EPA and DHA
- Iron — its supplements are recommended but not for everyone.
- And for Calcium, Iodine, Zinc — intake of daily supplements are recommended.
Now, with the growth of veganism around the world, some of the best plant-based food products brands have evolved in the past few years. These brands offer a variety of meals, snacks, supplements and fast food products.
Oliva, Goodmylk, Aurosoya, Good Dot, Beyond Meat, Daiya, Sweet Earth, Quorn, Gardein are some of the quality brands to name a few.
Veganism is not a limitation anyway.
It’s an expansion of your love, your commitment to nonviolence, and your belief in justice for all.
Contributed by Raushni, Content Writer at Mitti Ke Rang.
Our Social Media: